What to do first

Expected or natural cause of death

Before a funeral director can transfer the deceased to a funeral home a Death Certificate must be signed by a doctor.

The family doctor will need to be called should the death have taken place at home and if the deceased was seen by the doctor in the last three months. Also in the case of a home death it is not necessary to call an ambulance simply call us and we will arrange a suitable time with you to collect your loved one.

If the death occurs in a nursing home or private hospital, the nursing staff will notify the doctor for you. If someone dies in a public hospital the attending doctor will issue the certificate.

In all these cases it is our role as the funeral director to collect any and all certificates necessary.

Unexpected, Accidental or Death resulting from foul play.

Where a doctor is unable to determine the cause of death, the coroner will be notified by the police. The police submit a report to the coroner who will determine the cause of death by contacting the doctor of the deceased and/or requesting a pathologist to inspect the body and carry out an autopsy.

The Coroner is involved with the following deaths:

  • When an unexpected accident happens in hospital
  • Death due to fire or accident
  • Person has not seen a doctor in three months
  • Occurs at the persons place of work
  • Caused by road accident
  • If the person is accommodated in a government institution
  • Happens in a public place
  • SIDS and any other unexpected death that cannot be explained without a post mortem examination

We are of course happy to liaise with the Coroners Department on your behalf.

In all these cases simply call us on 6360 1199